There really isn’t a better or more practical option for large openings such as sliding and bi-fold doors as Panel Glides. The ability to easily slide the panels away from the door opening and have them neatly stack is the main benefit of this blind.
The versatility of Panel Glides is laid out in the following specifications.
· Track sizes available are 3,4 and 5 track.
· The minimum number of panels is 2
· The maximum number of panels sliding one way is 5.
· The maximum number of panels in a split draw is 9 still allowing for an overlap of panels.
· You could have 10 panels split however this would mean that the centre panels would butt together and not overlap which is problematic.
· The minimum panel width is 450mm
· The maximum panel width is 1200mm
· The maximum track length is 5400mm
Panels less than 450mm and wider than 1250mm including overlap are not warranted as to twisting and cupping that may occur.
With these rules in mind do not make a decision on Panel Glides by how many panels you would like. Also do not think that the number of panels needs to match the number of sliding or bi-fold doors in the set. The number of panels should be determined by the width of the opening.
Given that the minimum panel size is 450mm and the maximum 1200mm then the ideal size is around 750mm.
Although Plain Panel Glides are proving the most popular it is possible to make Panel Glides with batons similar to those on Roman Blinds. Therefore the different options available are Plain Panel Glide, Classic Panel Glide and Plantation panel Glide.
Because of weight considerations the baton spacing on Panel Glides is greater than that of Roman Blinds therefore the matching of baton spacing between Roman Blinds and panel Glides is not available.
The weight of a the fabric and any aluminium batons on a Panel Glide can see the fabric settle or stretch by as much as 20mm to 40mm. this settling cannot be confidently predicted which is why Panel Glides are not recommended for Inside Mount.
Another reason Outside Mount is the preferred method of installing Panel Glides is the light gaps at the sides due to the staggering of the panels. Outside Mount Panel Glides can run past the opening of the window ensuring better privacy and light block. Actually it is an option to have extra track run past the doorway to have the panels stack further away from the opening.
Mandatory Options for Panel Glides
The following options are mandatory and a selection must be made before any order can be placed.
It is a requirement by law that to avoid creating a possible strangulation hazard for children that any internal window covering must be installed in such a way that a loose cord or chain cannot form a loop 220mm or longer at a height of less than 1600mm above the floor.
For this reason Panel Glides are not manufactured with cord operation.
Mounting Method Inside Mount or Outside Mount. As previously mentioned Inside Mount is not recommended because of the settling of the fabric and the light gaps.
“Inside Mount ”
· The weight of a the fabric and any aluminium batons on a Panel Glide can see the fabric settle or stretch by as much as 20mm to 40mm. this settling cannot be confidently predicted which is why Panel Glides are not recommended for Inside Mount
· The depth of the track can mean that even if though the blind is mounted inside the reveal some panels may slide outside the reveal.
“Outside Mount ”
· The blind can run past the opening giving better privacy and light block.
· The blind can be configured to allow the panels the stack past the opening.
· The blind will sit off the wall meaning light seepage at the edges may occur.
Tracks The number of Tracks will generally be determined by the number of panels however it is discretionary. The colours available are White, Birch, Anodised and Black.
Number of Panels The number of panels and the configuration of the track needs to be determined. Preferably by the width of the opening.
Fixed Panel Which panel is fixed and which slides. You may wish to have the panels stack behind or in front of the fixed panel
Batons Options are Plain where no batons are required, Classic Style where only a back baton is visible or Plantation Style where an extruded aluminium Baton is available in
Where Batons are selected they will be spaced at approximately 400mm centres from the top of the panel.
Wand Colour Unless otherwise stipulated the wand colour will match the track colour.
Discretionary Options For Panel Glides
Extra Track Panel Glides can be made with extra track at either or both ends to allow the panels to stack further away from the opening.
Pelmets 100mm Linear pelmets with or without a fabric insert are an available option on Panel Glides